Northeastern University grew out of the “Evening Institute for Young Men” established by the Boston YMCA in 1898. There, students learned auto mechanics, engineering, and the law. Northeastern College separated from the YMCA in 1916. Seven years later, it expanded into a university.
Since then, Northeastern and the YMCA have stood side by side on Huntington Avenue, working together to provide educational opportunities that help people excel in their personal and professional lives.
The Northeastern University Archives and Special Collections carefully curates and provides access to the records of both of these institutions—from their founding all the way to the present.
This project is the result of University-wide collaboration led by the Northeastern University Libraries and its Archives and Special Collections.
Northeastern University Archives and Special Collections team: Head of Special Collections Giordana Mecagni, Assistant Archivist Michelle Romero, Processing Archivist Daniel Lavoie, Intern Christina Stone